Monday, January 2, 2012

My Value Investing

I'm posting my results so far. I started investing in the stock market at the very end of 2004 and until beginning 2006 I was lost. So I stopped for a while to study more and I was very luck then to read Graham's Intelligent Investor.

The results are shown below. Of course, 7 years is not that much, but it's a clue that the methodology is working. The results show only the gains invested in stock, not for the whole personal equity. I usually invest 30-50% in stock market, except in the end of 2008, when peaked above 90%.

The results of the value investment strategy is clear: since 2006 I beat Ibov by a large margin. The total annualized TIR for the 7 years is 32.6%, versus 13.0% of Ibov. 

If I was to consider just the 6 year period that I have been applying value investing theory (2006 onward), annual TIR would be 34.5%, versus 9.2% of Ibov.

Cheers to Value Investing!


Under no circumstances does any article or opinion posted on this blog represents any kind of advice, suggestion or recommendation to buy or sell any security. We also do not guarantee the accuracy of any information contained in any posting on this blog.

Related Posts

11 comments:

cessna said...

How do you calculate that? I would like to do the same.

sid said...

I do the calculations like a fund does, using this methodology:
Calculando o Retorno dos seus investimentos

sid said...

I just do the calculations at the end of each month.

cessna said...

I'll try to do that. I have everything, from august 2008 on, registered on GNUCash.

Anyway, I doubt I had so extraordinary results as you did.

sid said...

Who knows, just make the calculations and maybe post the results here.

cessna said...

I don't know if my numbers are right, but I think I also had a good performance since 2009. As to my calculations, wich may not be quite right, I got 303,46% from 01/01/2009 to 29/12/2011.
The composition of my netgains is:
Rents: 0,28%
dividends: 20,07%
JCP: 4,39%
net realized capital gains: 62,67%
not realized capital gains: 12,58%

cessna said...

If would would not consider the non realized capital gains, my performance since 1/1/2009 would me of 259,07%.

cessna said...

Anual realized gains (realized capital gains+dividends+JCP+rents):
2009: 81,68%
2010: 43,87%
2011: 37,37%

sid said...

That's very good! Congratulations!
We have now one more clue that value investing really works!

cessna said...

I redid my calculations, starting with the first market value I could find for my portfolio.
In fact, I performed 204,22% from 30/04/2009 to 29/12/2011.
01/05/2009 - 31/12/09: 153,1%
2010: 12%
2011: 7,3%
It's not as good a performance as I got, but it's much better than the market.

sid said...

That's still very nice.

Post a Comment

We encourage your feedback and we will take your comments into serious consideration. However, you must be warned that any comment that does not follow the blog philosophy (Value Investing and Behavioural Finance) will be promptly removed.